IL Title clouded by an old QC deed transfering property from married couple soley to wife, but listing (now divorced) seller as married to husband.

This cloud is baffling me, as the seller has already re-financed the house once, and there was no cloud on title last time. The ex-spouse will not sign a quit claim deed. I have heard there is a a way to get an emergency motion from a judge transferring interest to the seller, but I don’t know what kind of document/motion I need to file. Closing is in 2 wks.

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

To deal with a very technical land title question like this, you really need an experienced real estate lawyer.  I don't practice in Illinois, and the rules and procedure do vary somewhat from one state to another;  all the facts would have to be considered, to draw accurate papers to fit this situation.  One place to find qualified attorneys in your area is our website,

In many states, a certified copy of the divorce decree, especially if it includes (either in itself, or in an attached agreement) a mention of the property in question, will satisfy the title company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.