II found out a week ago from my landlord that the property is being forclosed on next month. Do I pay rent to my landlord on the first? What do I do?

I have a month to month lease and my security deposit is equal to one month rent. I do not want to lose my rental reference.

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you should do is contact the landlord and explain your concern. Obviously the security deposit is not applicable to what it was intended for as the property will no longer be in the landlords possession. Explain this fact and than ask the landlord if they want to apply the security to the last months rent. If they say no you should probably pay as you want to ensure a reference, however be sure that the landlord is trustworthy enough to return the security deposit

Of course you can always consult a local attorney if the landlord refuses to cooparete but hopefully you can get around this without legal counsel. Just try to cooperate with each other and see what happens

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.