If your ex is not adhering to divorce decree arrangements can the issue be addressed with the court without taking them back to court?

When I point out to my ex that she is not adhering to divorce decree papers – she keeps the kids well past her allotted time, and does not pay her share of medical related bills, her response is, “I don’t care what the papers say”. I don’t want to have to spend more money on this.

Asked on June 24, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You do not have much choice. The only way to force compliance with the agreement is by going to the court filing a motion entitled "motion to enforce litigant's rights.”   You are able to do this by yourself. Most courts as well as the New Jersey Judiciary website have forms that you can fill out and try to do on your own.

You may want to consult with an attorney just for some advice about the process and how to fill these forms out to ensure they are done correctly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.