If your AC is broken and your landlord refuses to fix it, what temperature is considered “livable”?

My manager said that her apartment is 103 degrees all the time in the summer and we just have to deal with it. I don’t find anything over 85 livable especially with a baby in the house. What can I do legally?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The issue here is a breach of the lease agreement  - providing air conditioning - as well as the breach of the warranty of habitability (103 definitely; 85 maybe with the baby).  You do not have to "deal with it" as the manager said.  In fact, you can go to landlord tenant court and start a proceeding for the breach, ask the court for an abatement (reduction) in the rent until it is fixed and to pay your rent in to court until it is fixed.  Then the court will make sure that it is taken care of.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.