If you work for a company that does not allow you to bring weapons into the business but you have a concealed carry for that state, which one takes presedence??

I work in retail in Ohio. I want a concealed
carry, so I feel safe waiting for shift in parking
lot and also in business during these terrible

Asked on June 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that most employment is "at will". This means that a company can set the condtions of employment much as it sees fit. This includes whether or not to allow employees to bring weapons onto company property, even if they are fully licensed to do so. This is the same as prohibiting workers from driving on company property, even if they hold valid driver's licenses. The exceptions here would be unless such a prohibition violates company policy, the terms of a union agreemnt or employment contract. Also, such treatment must not constitute any form of legally actionable discrimination. Therefore, regardless of your safety concerns, your employer's action is legal. Bottom line, you can comply with this restriction, you can complain and risk termination, or you can quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.