if you were in an no fault car accident three weeks ago, and your back is starting to hurt can you still go to the docter

while turning in my driveway a car hit me from the back

Asked on May 4, 2016 under Personal Injury, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can still go to the doctor.  It is common for symptoms pertaining to auto accident injuries to arise a significant time after the accident instead of immediately.
You should inform the at-fault party's insurance carrier in writing that you have a personal injury claim.
Don't try to settle your claim until you have completed your medical treatment and have been released by the doctor or have been declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point in your medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated.
Your personal injury claim should include compensation for your medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to your medical bills based on the medical reports documenting your injury, and compensation for wage loss.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.
Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
As mentioned above, compensation for pain and suffeing is an amount in addition to the medical bills.
If the case is settled with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers, reject them and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.  If the case is NOT settled, your lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.