If you received your 1st DWI in one state but you live in another, can the state you received the DWI in make you pay for and going to classes in that state?

Do you have to tell them were where about if you are traveling? In other words can you be placed on probation from a state that you don’t live? Can they make you come to their state for supervision? What happens if you are no a fixed income and can’t come?

Asked on June 23, 2014 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes.  You rlicesnse may be revoked or suspended in your home state based on that state's administrative laws, if you receive a DWI elsewhere.  They will also have remedial measures to reinstate which may include a classs or reinsttement fee. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.