If you’re the respondent in a divorce case and you don’t fill out the paperwork on time, can you get in trouble?

Asked on January 19, 2013 under Family Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you mean that you as a respondent in a marital dissolution actoion fail to timely file an answer with affirmative defenses to the petition after being served with it in 30 days, then yes, a problem could result. You as a respondent can lose the matter by way of a default. I suggest that if you have been served with a petition for dissolution that you consult with a family law attorney for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.