If you own a piece of property say that is 1.80 acres and the zoning requires 1 acres sites, can you sell1 acre and keep the .80 acres for yourself?

A buyer has asked me to sell him 1 acre of a 1.80 acre site. Can I?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No, you would be unable to obtain a lot split in all likelihood to make two parcels from your 1.80 piece if local zoning requires 1.0 acres minimum. Given this, you cannot do what the buyer wants you to do. The only option would be for you to keep 1.0 acres and do a lot split with the balance (.80 acres) and have the .80 acre parcel added to another parcel more than .20 acres as one new parcel.

The way you have written your question is that there must be presently 1.0 acre minimum sites on any newly created parcels.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.