If you lose an original contract, is it legal to execute a new one and back date it?

Asked on October 23, 2013 under Business Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It is never legal to backdate the contract but you can print a copy of it and add the fact the original is lost and have both parties sign it to indicate it was effective on the original date. If there are no copies, execute a new one with an addendum indicating the original was lost and this is simply reaffirming the original with original effective dates of xyz.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.