If are 16 years old and are abused by your parents, is there a way to become legally emancipated?

Asked on May 27, 2012 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are a very brave kid to be writing in and I can tell that you are smart and resilient.  New York does not have a procedure for emancipation but we surely have many procedures in place to protect you.  Now, this was a really good first step but your next step has to be to talk to an adult that can help.  A teacher, guidance counselor, your doctor - some one who can help start the process to protect you.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.