If you have a small wound on your arm and sometimes the scab comes off and it starts bleeding, can you be required to wear a bandage over it?

I’m a diabetic and it is taking a long time to heal. I sign out equipment such as 2-way radios, guns and iPods to employees. Someone complained I was bleeding all over the equipment which is not

true. I have no contagious disease which is what I guess they are worried about. What are my rights?

Asked on June 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You absolutely may be required to wear a bandage over it. Coworkers have a right to not be exposed to your blood, whether or not you believe you have an infectious disease or not, or even just to the sight of a bleeding wound. Because you know that you heal slow and have a wound on your arm that periodically or occasionally may open up, you have to take action to cover it up appropriately. If you fail to do so, because it is unreasonable for you to not do this, your employer could terminate you (or do anything short of termination, like suspending, demoting, transferring/changing jobs, etc. you).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.