If you have a personal MySpace page and your employer views this page can they make you make changes in your personal MySpace page that they dont like

A co-worker has a personal MySpace page and his work said they are monitoring this page, on his page it said something along the lines of being in a dead end job. The Supervisor came to him and told him he needed to remove this or he would be wrote up. Is this allowed.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately yes--it is legal. When you put something out there on the web, it is not private, and employers may monitor it and even take action based on it, the same way could take action if your coworker was complaining about his job at work, or sending derogatory emails or memos around. A good rule of thumb is don't EVER write something online that you wouldn't say out loud at a family gathering or at your workplace, because online materials get around. People have been fired for what they post online. Your coworker should count himself lucky that all he needs do is change or remove the posting.

J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area.  You co-worker is a at will employee.  therefore, he can be fired for good bad or no reason at all.  If the employer wanted to fire the employee for his myspace page they can.  In fact, if your employer didnt like the color of the co-workers pants, he could be fired for that too.  I suggest that the coworker obey the rules at work if he wants to keep the job and more importantly, not have a reputation that follows him around.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.