If you don’t turn yourself in on a self surrender warrant, does the county actively look for you?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not certain as to what you mean by "self surrender warrant".  For all warrants you can always surrender yourself to the authorities.  I'm assuming here that you are talking about a "bench warrant" having been issued. 

Typically, depending on the case and surrounding circumstances, you will not be pursued by the authorities.  There simply isn't enough manpower and money to do so.  However, do not think that this relieves you of your criminal liability.  If you are stopped for something as simple as a traffic violation or even have an employment background check done, this can all turn up.  In fact you can count on it.  Maybe not today or tomorrow but this will come back to haunt you.

Instead of looking over your shoulder for the next how many years, you should voluntarily turn yourself into the court.  It will go a long way in your favor if you do as opposed to being brought in by the police on the jail bus. 

What you need to do now is to consult about all of this with an attorney in your area.  Listen carefully to what they have to say and then follow their advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.