If you’re driving in the country at night and a farmer’s cows get out and you hit them and total your vehicle, who is responsible?

I need to know what to do and if I should get an attorney for this situation. I didn’t have full coverage on my vehicle. 

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of most states (California for example) if a large animal such as a horse, cow or a pig gets out on the roadway and causes damages to a vehicle and a person, the owner of the animal that was struck by the vehicle is responsible for all damages.

In your situation, the owner of the cows (the farmer) would be responsible for the damages to your vehicle. Cows are not allowed to be on the road. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.