If you can’t afford to pay the reinstatement fees for a license, is there a type of hardship license you can apply for thats affordable?

My husband has 2 DWI’s on his record. The last one was 7 years ago. We can’t afford to pay the thousands of dollars we need to pay to get his license reinstated. Is there a type of hardship license we could appy for that’s affordable?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this coutnry as well as rules and regulations promulgated by each state's department of motor vehicles for the reinstatement of one's driver's license after it has been suspended for whatever reason, there is no compromise on the amount owed for reinstatement.

Unfortunately for your husband, his driver's license was suspended for alcohol related use while driving. If he wants to get his driver's license back, he has to pay the full amount mandated to receive it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.