If you are charged and convicted of a felony but are placed on deferred adjudication, does it show as a felony on your record in a background check?

Asked on March 1, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This all depends on the statue in which the deferred adjudication is taken under. In Michigan, certain criminal conviction statues such as HYTA or MCL 769.4A (Domestic Violence) will not appear on a persons criminal record and will be dismissed entirely upon a successful completion of probation. My advice is to contact a local criminal defense attorney in your area to see exactly if your particular conviction is one that will appear on your criminal record and subsequently on a background check.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.