If you are a new hire and are fired during the initial 90 day probation period, are you still eligible to receive unemployment benefits?

Asked on December 4, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Were you fired for what is called "cause"? This means were you fired for some type of misconduct (e.g. violation of company policy, absenteeism, insubordination, theft, any intentional act against the employer's interests, etc.). If not, then you should be eligible to collect unemployment benefits assuming that you earned the minimum amount set by the state over the 4 reporting quarters (i.e. the quarters predeeding the quarter in which you will file).

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, legally you may receive unemployment benefits (if you are eligible for them) so long as you were not fired "for cause"--i.e. not fired for absenteeism, insubordination, violating company policy, committing a crime at work, lying on your application, etc. 
To be eligible, you must have earned at least $3,500 during the 4 calendar quarters preceding the quarter in which you would file

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.