If we separate, how do I support myself?

How do I get access to money if we

Asked on October 12, 2017 under Family Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

So the details of your marital situation are really important in order to help guide you here.  There is really not enough information to be specific so I will try and help in a general way. So Wisconsin allows what is called pendente lite support which is support temporary support to one party during a divorce proceeding.  If no divorce has been filed and a party has left the house, many states allow you to file for temporary support in their Family Court. I think that you should call around and see about having a consultation with an attorney as soon as you can.  Try your local bar association and see if they have areferral service.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.