If we had to move apartments because the landlordfailed to maintain fit premises, do we have to sign a new1 year lease or can we finish the initial lease and go month-to-month?

We had 3 months left on our original lease and we had to sign for another year. We weren’t allowed to finish the 3 months and enter into a month-to-month basis. Is that legal? Again, we moved because they failed to maintain a fit premises in the initial apartment.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should make the decision as to the type of lease that you want based upon what is best for your circumstances. If you are on a month-to-month lease and want to remain in the unit you presently are residing in for an indefinite time period, then it might be in your best interests to sign a year lease for the unit.

The change of the lease from the formal rental to a month-to-month lease was proper since you are in a whole different unit. The year lease is no longer in effect from what you have written. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.