If my former state of residence suspended my drivers license but I now live in another state, can my the second state also suspend my new driver’s license?

I got a DUI a few months before I left to live out-of-state. I got the citation and went to the arraignment hearing where I plead not guilty. Shortly thereafter I moved. When I moved my old drivers license was still valid so I was able to attain a new driver’s license. Since then my old license has been suspended due to missed court dates on the DUI charge.

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

States have reciprocity with other states concerning driving license privileges and licensing restrictions. This means that if your license was suspended in Michigan, and you later move to Colorado, the Colorado DMV has the ability to find out about the Michigan suspension and refuse to issue you a new license until the Michigan suspension is lifted. The best way to determine this is to simply call the DMV in that state you currently reside and see if they will suspend your license or not. Even if they do not automatically suspend your license, if you ever plan to renew in the new state, this will become an issue so it is better to address it sooner than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.