If your employer gave you a final written check but then your last wages were also deposited in your bank account, what do I do?

Asked on November 18, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An error does not entitle someone who has accidentally overpaid to keep the money; you have no right to the extra money. So, for example, if you accidentally overpaid a repairman you would be entitled to get your money back. The fact is that your employer can recover the money they accidentally overpaid you. And, if necessary, can take you to court over it. So it's a good idea to not spend the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.