If two people are on the title of a paid off vehicle, can a debt collector come after that vehicle for a debt that is allegedly owed by one of them?

I signed a Yellow Book proof while working for a company 7 years ago. I was let go from the company soon after and found out that the company didn’t finish paying the bill after being sued along with the company. After paying thousands of dollars to an attorney to defend myself and my credit I had my attorney send a letter to the Yellow Book that I had no money and I ended things with the attorney. I just yesterday received a packet from the bank that held the loan for a vehicle that is in mine and my husband’s name which was paid off last month. Should I do anything?

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to immediately place the title in your husband's name, file a credit dispute against this claimant/creditor througth your credit report agencies and indicate you do not owe any money and you have no assets. Your name must be off of that title. If you paid off the vehicle, get your name off of it for now, fix this issue and then consider putting your name back on when all is said and doe. Right now, this creditor is trying to locate whatever assets you have that can be liquidated or repossessed. Further, consider going full speed with disputing this claim. You should never have signed but it is up to you to prove it wasn't your debt to begin with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.