If my toilet is not working properly and the water bill is too high but the landlord ignores problem, can I get out of my lease?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have two different - but may be connected - problems.  If the toilet does not work properly that is known as a breach of the warranty of habitability.  That breach will allow you go to landlord tenant court and ask them for help. You can ask the court to allow you to start a proceeding against the landlord for the breach and to pay your rent in to court and to reduce your rent.  Now, if the toilet say runns excessively then the water bill could be high. You yourself can not just break the lease.  The court must declare it void. The landlord will not ignore the court. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.