If there is no written visitation agreement in a joint custody matter, can the non-domiciliary parent keep the child longer than the domiciliary wants them to?

Is it legally ok?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is difficult to understand exactly what is in place here between you and the other parent.  When you say "joint custody matter" has that been determined through a court order rather than written agreement?  Or is it an oral agreement?  How is one of you the non-dimiciliary parent if no order is in place?  If you wre married then you have equal custody rights to the children and then those are "divided" so to speak, when you get divorced.  If you were never married the Mother is the legal guardian until there is an order in place that states otherwise.  Please get help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.