If there is a no contact order in place to “protect me” but they have a completely different last name on it, is it still valid?

Would there be any violations if he contacts me,since it’s not even my last name on the order?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the no contact order in place in your favor has a different surname for you than what you go by presently, prudence dictates that the order needs to be modified to make sure that your name is properly listed for future use and possible needs for safety reasons. Possibly there could be a violation of the order if a contact is made now but why risk your safety? Get the order modified to have your correct name on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.