If the rental office told me not to clean the carpets professionally prior to moveout and then the owner changes her mind, can I still be charged?

The rental office told me the day of my move-out I didn’t have to clean the carpets because the owner was making the floors hardwood. Then I moved out and the rental office tells me that the owner changed her mind and will be deducting the charges from my deposit. Am I still responsible for these charges?

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were told by the landlord's agent that you did not need to clean the carpets by a professional prior to move out because the landlord was going to replace the carpets with hardwood but the landlord later changed her mind about placing hardwood in the unit, you technically are responsible for the cleaning charges.

The reason is that you would have had the carpets professioanlly cleaned upon move out. The only reason why you did not was because the carpets were to be replaced. They were not. The carpets still need to be clean in that they remain for the new tenant not cleaned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.