If the police never asked if I wanted an ambulance and my friend signed a paper to release me from the ER with a fake name, do I have to pay the bills?

I was intoxicated at a concert and the police called an ambulance without asking me at all. The paramedics picked me up and put me in the ambulance and after only being in the ER for 2 hour with just receiving an IV, one of the nurses told me that i shouldnt even be there so i was clearly fine and conscious, my friend signed the paper to release me from the ER with a fake name. Since I did not sign the consent form and technically no one i was with signed the paper, do i still have to pay the hospital and ambulance bills? Can my friend get in trouble? They never asked for her ID.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country there is a policy to treat all with medical care when one is in need. In your situation, the intoxicated state that you were in at the concert warranted medical treatment called by a third party.

You received medical treatment for your own benefit. Under the law, you are obligated to pay the fair market value for the services rendered to you even though you were received from the emergency room with a false name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.