If the place I’m renting from gets condemned and I am asked to leave the premises ASAP, can I legally end the lease?

Would the landlord have to pay for a motel, a place for me to stay while looking for another rental? Can I take him to small claims court for back-pay on the uninhabitable unit? Will I get my security deposit back? Do I have the right to end the contract of the lease because of this?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please bring your lease to an attorney in your area to review.  The lease should have a "condemnation" provision which governs your rights.  The law in your state would also kick in.  Generally speaking, it depends on for what reason the property is condemned and who the condemning authority is for the landlord to revcover but those reasons may not pass through to you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.