If the person paying alimony and child support accepts another job that pays a lesser salary and is closer to his children, can alimony and/or child support payments be reduced?

In the state of Maryland

Asked on April 22, 2016 under Family Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Possibly, but there is a good chance they will not be. A court will reduce support obligations if a person cannot pay them due to a loss of job or demotion, or switching from a higher to a lower-paying job, where there is no reasonable prospect of the person starting to make more money again any time soon, but generally, courts only do this for *involuntary* job losses/changes...i.e. things that happen against the person's will, such as being fired then only finding a lesser job. The courts generally will not adjust support obligations if a person voluntarily starts earning less money, because they do not want ex-spouses or parents to be able to freely or willingly reduce what they pay and hurt the people they are supporting. If this change is better for the children in other ways, such as more access to and time with a parent, family court might decide that on the balance, it was an equitable and reasonable thing to do and allow a reducution; however, it would be unusual to allow a reduction for a voluntary losse of income, so it should not be counted on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.