If an inherited house goes into foreclosure before it is transferred into the beneficiaries names, can the bank try to get their money from the deceased’sIRA to settle the debt owed?

My 2 siblings and I inherited my father’s home. There was a TOD for the house so it avoided probate and hasn’t been transferred yet. Probate assets are his bank account and truck. The house has been on the market for awhile and has not sold. We also inherited his IRA, which transferred directly to us when he died.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If a home that you inherited or were to inherit is lost in foreclosure before legal title is transferred to you, whether the lender that foreclosed upon it can claim a deficiency owed against the estate whose name the property is in depends upon whether the loan that was foreclosed upon was purchase money or not and if your state has anti-deficiency statutes.

If the answer is yes, then the lending institution cannot go after assets of the estate to satisfy any deficiency claims. Likewise, if your state has laws prohibiting deficiency judgments regarding non-judicial foreclosures may also prevent a deficiency claim if the foreclosure is by way of a non-judicial foreclosure.

I suggets that you consult with a real estate attorney regarding your question for further answers. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.