If the equitable distribution of assets part of a divorce complaint is pulled, does that mean that there can be no alimony?

My wife has filed for divorce and part of the complaint includes equitable distribution of marital assets and alimony. My wife’s lawyer wants to amend the complaint so that ED is no longer within the power of the court rather than draft a formal property settlement agreement. He says that by amending the complaint in this way means she will have no claim for alimony. Is this true?

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


Howard Pobiner / Howard J. Pobiner, Esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Having an issue resolved in the divorce case is the safest way to proceed.  If it's not in the final judgment, you may lose your chance to have it decided. In New York, a judgment can not be entered until equitable distribution is decided.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.