If the DMV has a glitch in their records that causes me to be arrested and have my car towed, can I sue them?

Can I sue them for the towing expense, temporary loss of license and lost wages?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue your state's department of motor vehicles if you can demonstrate that its negligence with respect to its records caused you to be arrested and have your car towed resulting in special and general damages for you. Since the department of motor vehicles is a governmental entity, you must perfect your claim by timely filing a tort claim with it and seeing if it is accepted or rejected in a certain period of time to allow you to file suit.

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney experienced in suing governmental entities to assist you in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.