If the deposit was from rent assistanceand not the tenant, to whom is the security deposit returned?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the security deposit was from subsidized housing and not the actual tenant, then the return of any owed security deposit for the rental needs to be sent to the person or entity that actually paid it to you.

To protect yourself, I would send a written letter with the check for the return of the security deposit to the person or entity that paid it to you in the beginning with a copy sent to the former tenant. Keep a copy of the check and letter in your file concerning this former tenant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.