If the charges for simple assault are dismissed, will my arrest still appear on my record and if so, can it be expunged?

Asked on September 16, 2014 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking yes, it will be on your background check.  Arrests and convictions are reported separately.  Yes you can get it expunged. Call or visit the Department of Court Records, Criminal Division in the county in which you were arrested to receive the standard forms necessary to file a petition. The motion must be legibly written or typed. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.