If someone sues a defunct LLC that I was a partner in for product liability, can the corporate veil be broken and can I then be personally sued?

The business is defunct and no longer has product liability insurance.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Business Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are certain tax debts for which managing members are responsible. And if you guaranteed a debt personally, clearly you could be sued. Otherwise, as you note, you could generally only be sued if the "corporate veil" could be pierced. This is a very rare occurence, and requires essentially a showing that 1) you used the LLC to defraud creditors--not merely that you could not pay all your debts or obligations, but that there was specific fraudulent intent; or 2) there was no meaningful distinction between you and the LLC (e.g. comingled funds), so there is no reason to "respect" the LLC. These are obviously not typically the case.

Also: if you personally committed a fraudulent or tortious act while working for your LLC, you could be sued for that fraudulent act--for example, if you personally falsified documents (e.g. safety data, ordered unsafe parts, incorrect labeling) which led to the product-related injuries, that could potentially provide basis for personal liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.