If someone passed away and I was named executor in their Will, do I need an attorney if the daughter of the deceased had an attorney file an opposition?

Asked on August 11, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am s sorry for your loss and for the issues that have resulted therefrom.  You mean that she filed an opposition before you filed for probate of the Will?  It would be a good idea for you to have an attorney review the paperwork if you are intent on being named as Executor and filing an affidavit if there are reasons that the parent didn't name her daughter and you want the court to know why. This is technically a Will contest: she is opposing her parent's wishes.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.