If someone is in an accident on a motorcycle that is not registered or insured in their name and another party was injured, what can happen to the owner of the motorcycle?

Asked on July 22, 2015 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The owner of the motorcycle is liable for the accident even if the motorcycle was driven by someone other than the owner.

The owner's liability would include property damage (cost of repairs) to the vehicle that was not at fault in the accident.  There would also be a separate personal injury claim.  The owner's liability on the personal injury claim would include compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering,  which is an amount in addition to the medical bills, and compensation for wage loss.

Without insurance, the motorcycle owner will be sued by the injured party or the injured party's insurance company if the injured party had uninsured motorist coverage on his/her auto insurance policy.  The owner will also be charged with not having insurance and not registering the motorcycle with the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

If the driver of the motorcycle was someone other than the owner, the owner can sue the driver for negligence to recover the amount of the judgment against the owner for personal injury and property damage claims of the party who was not at fault in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.