Short term disability

If someone is 3 weeks short of being eligible for STD and they got hurt and can’t work (not on the job), what, if any, compensation is available?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Possibly workers' compensation if on the job, otherwise, it depends.  Compensation may not be available.  Contrary to popular belief, you are not always entitled to something when you get hurt.  Was this an accident? Was it someone else's fault?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.