If someone installed unauthorized surveillance materials in my home then posted the content online, can I sue those who are responsible for damages?

Someone installed video/audio recording devices in my house and then streamed the content online. It has ruined my chances of being gainfully employed, as I live in a small town. It has also ruined my dating life. I’ve been facing depression and high blood pressure due to

the situation. And I want to know if with these basics of the situation, do I have merit for a case?

Asked on January 5, 2018 under Personal Injury, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the person or persons who installed the video surveillance equipment and did the online streaming for invasion of privacy.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would include emotional distress, physical illness, and you can recover punitive damages which are a substantial amount to punish the intentional wrongful acts of the defendant.
You should document your depression and high blood pressure with medical treatment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.