If someone hit me in a car accident but I have no car insurance, can I still ask for my car to be fixed?

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Accident Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you were not at fault in the accident, you can file a claim with the at-fault party's insurance carrier for your property damage and have your car repaired.  If you need a rental car while your car is being repaired, the at-fault party's insurance carrier should pay for the rental car.  The insurance carrier won't pay for the collision damage waiver on the rental car.

If you were injured in the accident, you can file a personal injury claim with the at-fault party's insurance carrier.  You personal injury claim is separate from your property damage claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.