If someone has financially supported a child but isn’t a family member, can they get visitations?

They have been there since the child was born their partner and them have been together for 3 and half years and they have financially have supported the child and mother. They are now broken up and this person wants to no if they have and say on visitations or custody rights.

Asked on November 5, 2012 under Family Law, Vermont


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of most states in this country only parents and sometimes grandparents under the right circumstances are allowed visitation rights as to a minor child. From what you have written, even though you have supported a child, but are not a grandparent or a parent of the child you would not be legally entitled to a court order for visitation of the minor if the parent refused to allow you visitation voluntarily.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.