If someone has been residing with you for less than 30 days and has paid 1 rent through the end of the month, after that time,can you dispose of their belongings?

My friend moved into my apt and lived there less than 30 days; he needed to be forcibilly removed by the police. He has paid rent until the end of the month. After that, can I dispose of any belongings if he has not retrieved theem by then?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your tenant has been removed from your rental and his belongings have been left behind, you need to give the person written notice to retrieve such within a reasonable amount of time such as 30 days from the letter's date.

If the items are not picked up after such a time period and they are worth less than $300 collectively, then you can dispose of them any way you desire. If worth more than $300, then you should take them to an off site storage facility, place the lease in the former renter's name and send him a copy of the lease stating where his items are now. If the rent is not paid, then the storage facility can auction the items off.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.