If someone has been in the US illegally for sometime and their passport has expired, how can they get back to their country?

Asked on March 31, 2015 under Immigration Law, South Carolina


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can always renew or obtain a new passport through the Embassy of your home country in the US.  If you are a citizen of that country, that is what the Embassy is here for, to represent the interests of that country in the US and that includes assistance to its citizens on the territory of the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.