If someone changed the locks on a home in hich you were a guest and will not let you get your belongings, what is the best action to take?

The homeowner is my cousin. It is in Navy military housing. I was there almost 3 months. Offered to pay some sort of rent but said I could just help out around the house when needed and such since rent was paid for by Navy. About a week ago she said I had until the 22nd to find a place or I would have to start paying rent. I agreed and found an apartment that I move into in 2 days. While I was at work she changed the locks and won’t give me my belongings.

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best course of action to get your belongings back from the unit you were locked out of is to contact your cousin's commanding officer about the situation and let matters take their course if your cousin will not voluntarily let you get your belongings.

Another option is to contact a landlord tenant attorney to see what your legal recourse would be such as filing a small claims court action for the fair market value of the items that are left behind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.