If separating and want to move out of the country with my kids, do I need a legal paper with a lawyer or notary agreement between us is enough?

Asked on May 20, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would absolutely consult an attorney here.  You need to have everything spelled out before you leave including support.  Leaving the country with kids during a divorce or pending the divorce can be deemed kidnapping ("without an intent to return" is how it is phrased) and you need to protect yourself and the kids.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.