If prescribed medical marijuana for PTSD, can you be fired legally?

If I am prescribed medical marijuana in
Florida for PTSD, can I be fired for
it? As a disabled veteran, under the
ADA rules, would it be a wrongful

Asked on June 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You cannot be terminated for having the underlying disability or for having a prescription for medical marijuana, but you *may* be terminated for bringing marijuana (even medical marijuana) to work or for using it at work: marijuana is still illegal under federal law, even when it's medical use is legal under state law, and since it is an illegal CDS (controlled dangerous substance; a schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970), and an employer can refuse to allow an illegal substance at work.
You could also be terminated from certain jobs where any use of a drug which impairs any of judgment, reflexes, perception is dangerous: e.g. pilot, driver, operator of certain kinds of equipment; there are some jobs you cannot have when using certain medications.
And if you are ever impaired at work, you can be terminated for coming to work impaired, the same way you could be terminated for being drunk at work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.