If our heat was broken for 5 days, can I ask my landlord for a reduction in rent?

When are they required to give one?

Asked on November 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

IF the lack of heat rendered the premises "uninhabitable"--e.g., the internal temperature became too low to live in, and not merely slightly uncomfortable--then the tenant may be entitled to a rent credit for that period of time for breach of the implied warranty of habitability. Of course, since if the landlord does not voluntarily provide one, the tenant would have to sue the landlord, it may not be worthwhile doing this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.