What to do if 1 party does not agree to divorce after a 2 plus year separation?

I have been separated 27 moths. I am currently trying to file for divorce on my own using the self-help located at the courthouse. However, The other party does not wish to sign.

Asked on January 8, 2018 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Even of your spouse refuses to sign the papers, you can still obtain a divorce. Once the period of time in which to "answer" expires, the petitioning spouse can proceed with what is known as a "default divorce". This is a divorce that is granted in the absence of one of the parties and is generally granted on the terms requested.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.