If one of my children is autistic & I believe he would suffer from visitation with his dad can I keep him from gaining visitation of any of the kids?

My son has shown fear of his father in the past due to his anger issues. I also believe my son would suffer with changing schedules and living situations that come with visitation. My youngest son is only an infant and isn’t bonded with his father at all. I don’t believe he even recognizes his dad because he has lived with us since the baby was 3 months old. My daughter is extremely unruly when her dad is around because he allows her to do anything, there are no rules enforced. I really believe that all 3 kids would be better off if there dad wasn’t involved in their raising.

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you will have a hard time convincing a judge that the children should not see and have a relationship with their dad.  If he is a danger to them, and you can prove it, you'd have a better chance, but I don't think the reasons you have given will be sufficient.  Speak to a family law attorney in your area.  The best you might be able to do here is to have court-supervised visitation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.